8am to noon
1pm to 5pm
Service (Kennewick office only)
8am to 11:30am
1pm to 4pm
8am to noon
1pm to 5pm
Administration provides the management coordination, direction and control of Health
Department operations in order to meet the overall public health needs of the community.
Administration is responsible for carrying out Board of Health policies, supporting the
work of the District Health Officer, and enforcing the statutes, rules and regulations
of the State Board of Health and the State Department of Health.
Agency-wide management functions include:
· Administrative policy development and agency management|
· Budget preparation, budget administration and cost accounting
· District contracts administration, purchasing & A/P administration
· Personnel administration, including payroll, benefits & tax administration
· Patient registration, rate-setting, billings, and A/R management
· Capital facility projects and building management
· Capital equipment planning, acquisitions & inventory control
· Computer systems management/applications and telecommunications
· State and federal legislative affairs/intergovernmental relations
· Coordinating agency legal counsel, contracts & labor negotiations
· Resource development, public-private partnerships & foundation relations
· Risk management, safety and agency regulatory compliance
Annual Reports 06●07●08
. BFHD-AGY-OPS-001G-Directory of Programs
. Guide to BFHD Services V.3
Administration coordinates special health education/public health improvement projects,
targeting high-risk groups and priority public health problems. Current projects include the
Access to Baby and Child Dentistry (ABCD) Program, Youth Tobacco Prevention and Control,
and the US Surgeon General's Physical Inactivity, Health & Community Fitness Improvement
Quality Improvement Initiatives
Administration has implemented a variety of quality improvements. In all Reception/Customer
Service Offices, quick-response customer-satisfaction survey cards are now in use;
over-the-phone foodworker pre-registration has been installed; and attention checklist
notices have been added to permit applications to speed customer completion.
The Billing Department provides customized employer account billings for employers
directly purchasing low cost public health services and off-site Medicaid and insurance
billings as part of outside clinics and special public health outreach programs.
Credit card payment equipment is available in all offices. The Computer Services Center
implemented an on-site public health informatics network to provide all Health Department
offices and staff with statewide e-mail, internet and website broadcast capabilities,
making possible rapid electronic health provider communications regarding health alerts
and disease outbreaks.
State law provides for the selection and appointment of a medically-qualified health officer to oversee and direct the public health program of the local health jurisdiction. Dr. Amy Person, a licensed and board-certified pediatrician with advanced training in public health informatics and population health is the District Health Officer for the Benton-Franklin Health District.
State laws empower the Local Health Officer to carry a broad range of public health functions,
1. Enforcing the public health statutes of the state, rules and regulations of the state board
of health and the secretary of the state department of health, and all the local health rules,
regulations and ordinances within his jurisdiction.|
2. Taking such action as is necessary to maintain the health and sanitation supervision over the
territory within his jurisdiction.
3. Controlling and preventing the spread of any dangerous, contagious or infectious diseases that
may occur within his jurisdiction.
4. Informing the public as to the causes, nature, and prevention of disease and disability
and the preservation, promotion and improvement of health within his jurisdiction.
5. Taking such measures as he deems necessary in order to promote the public health.
The mission of the Local Health Department is Promoting, Preventing and Protecting the Public's Health. The role and job of Public Health for the community and all people involves:
(1) Promoting healthy behaviors; |
(2) Preventing disease and injury; and
(3) Protecting individuals, families and their environment through cooperative
participation among community, government and the Health District.
Letters should be addressed to the Health Officer
as follows: Amy Person, M.D.,
District Health Officer, Benton-Franklin District Health Department, 7102 w Okanogan pl Kennewick Wa 99336, or by calling (509) 460 4200.
or the Board of Health