Home Directory ------------- Make a Payment Contact us

8am to noon
1pm to 5pm

Vital Records
Service (Kennewick office only)
8am to 11:30am
1pm to 4pm

8am to noon
1pm to 5pm

Food Worker Training

Food Worker Card
Class Information

Properly trained food workers help protect the health, safety, and well-being of the residents and visitors of Benton and Franklin Counties.

Getting your Food Worker Card is as easy as 1, 2, 3...

Study the Washington State Food Worker Manual (available on the Washington State Department of Health website).

Register for the class by calling
(509) 460 4205.
While we hope that you’ll attend our in-person class, you may also take the class online www.foodworkercard.wa.gov.

Attend the class at the health department and pass the test.

The Card
What is the Card? The Food Worker Card is required in Washington State for people that serve unwrapped or certain other foods to the public.  All food workers are required to have a valid Washington State Food Worker Card within 14 days of employment. 
Can I use a card from another state?

No. The State of Washington does not accept food worker cards from other states; but cards issued by other counties in Washington State are valid. If you plan to serve food in the State of Washington, you must get a card in Washington.

What About Online Classes? While we prefer you receive your food safety training from one of our inspectors in class, we also accept the cards issued from the online training program available at www.foodworkercard.wa.gov
How Much Does it Cost? Food Worker Cards cost $10, payable by cash ONLY. Personal checks or credit cards will not be accepted.
When Will I Get my Card? The Food Worker Card is given to food workers after they have shown they understand how to safely prepare, store, and serve foods. All food workers must attend a training class and pass a Washington State test.  You will get your card at the end of the class if you pass the test.  The card is your personal property, but your employer will need to have proof that you have a current card.  We recommend that you give your employer a photocopy of your card and you keep the original card at home. 
When Will My Card Expire? The initial food worker card is valid for two years from the test date. Renewal cards expire three years from the issue date.
What Is a Renewal Card? Renewal cards are issued to people with current or recently expired Washington State Food Worker Cards after they attend the food worker class and pass the test. Effective July 1, 1999, all renewal cards are issued for 3 years EXCEPT if the applicant can provide proof of taking "additional food safety training" within the past two years.
The Class at the Benton-Franklin Health District
What is the Class? The Food Worker Card class is a one-hour presentation on food safety basics given by a local health inspector. You are encouraged to ask questions during the class. After the class, you will take a written test on the material. Plan on 1.5 hours to attend the class and take the test.
When is the Class? No one can be admitted to class after the doors are closed (approximately 10 minutes after the hour). Call 509.460.4205 to verify class dates and register.
Annual Calendar for Food Worker Card Classes offered by BFHD
Do I Need to Register Before Class? Yes. Class sizes are limited. Register by calling 509.460.4205. We will need to know your name, phone number, birth date, and work location.
What do I Need to Bring to the Class?

You will need to bring to class:

  • Ten dollars to pay for the card
  • Photo ID
  • Your old health card (if you are getting a renewal card)

 All other materials will be provided.

Where is the Class? The class is held at the Benton-Franklin Health District, Environmental Health Office, 7102 w Okanogan pl Kennewick Wa 99336
What?! There's a Test? Yes. There is a 32-question multiple-choice test. You may not use notes, books, or other people while you are taking the test.  You may miss up to six questions and still pass the test.
What Else Do I Need To Know? Parking and class-size are very limited. Allow extra time so that you will not be excluded from class (we recommend arriving in the office at least 10 minutes before class starts).
More information
What About Other Options?
  • We offer the class in Spanish once a month.
  • Duplicate cards can be printed for cards issued in Benton and Franklin Counties. The fee for a duplicate card is $5.
  • Translators are accepted in class and during the examination.
  • If requested in advance, a reader can be provided for the test taker with limited reading ability or vision.
  • A "Limited Duty" card is available for people with developmental disabilities that are unable to pass the standard test. Their duties at the food establishment will be restricted.
  • The class and test are also available in Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Russian by appointment. If needed, you must provide your own translator; we do not have translators available. Call to schedule a time to view the video and take the test.
Did You Know? Your food worker card may be revoked by the health department for several reasons, including: evidence of repeated violations in the handling of food for the public, working while ill and communicable, or for lying on information required to get your card. Once your card has been revoked, you will be unable to get another card in Washington State until the violations have been repaired.

Your food worker card is your personal property; keep it in a safe place. Your employer is required to maintain a copy of your food handler's card; a readable photocopy is acceptable and recommended.
Thank you for doing your part to promote and protect the health, safety and well-being of the residents and visitors of Benton and Franklin Counties.

For current class information 509.460.4205.

The Washington State Rules for Food Worker Cards are available at WAC 246-217.
Home Top
Benton Franklin Health District
7102 W Okanogan Pl
Kennewick WA
(509) 460 4200
412 W Clark
Pasco WA
(509) 547-9737

Emergency Contact Information

Personal Emergency for Medical, Police, Fire, or Other: 911
Washington Poison Center: 1 (800) 222-1222 (www.wapc.org)
Washington Community Resource Information: 211 (www.win211.org)
BFHD Public Health Emergency/Imminent Health Hazard After-Hours Reporting: 509-543-3851
The public can reference BFHD policies available in Kennewick office.
BFHD Privacy Statement:English / Spanish
Copies of the annual report available at all BFHD offices.
State and County Resources
Rules and Regulations Administered by or Governing the Benton-Franklin Health District
WAC's - RCW's
Community Health Status Indicators
Reportable Conditions
Contact: info(at)bfhd.wa.gov                                                                                                                             Employees