What is solid waste?

"Solid waste" means all perishable and non-perishable solid and semisolid wastes including, but not limited to, garbage, rubbish, ashes, industrial wastes, sewage sludge, demolition and construction wastes, abandoned vehicles, contaminated soils, and recyclable materials.  The two main Washington Administrative Codes (WAC) that regulate solid waste activities are WAC 173-350 and WAC 173-351.

links to WACS

Why does the health district regulate solid waste?

Solid waste usually contains organic matter (food, yard waste, wood) in which microbes and parasites can rapidly grow and reproduce.  Many of these organisms can cause disease in humans and our pets.  These organisms can infect us when we come in direct contact with them or they get in our water/food supply.  Some organisms, such as flies and rodents (vectors), can transfer disease-causing organisms from solid waste to humans.  Many diseases, such as cholera, dysentery, and polio, which were common in the US in the 1800-1900s, have been greatly reduced due to a better management of solid wastes and drinking water.

BFHD is responsible for the review, permitting, and inspection of all solid waste disposal sites in Benton and Franklin Counties.  BFHD also investigates illegal dump sites and problem waste situations.  If you would like to file a complaint regarding a solid waste problem, please call Environmental Health at 509.460.4205

Permitted Solid Waste Facilities

 Type of Facility  
Municipal solid waste landfill Horn Rapids Landfill
Transfer stations Waste Management
Basin Disposal Transfer
Drop box facilities Benton City Drop Box
Prosser Drop Box
Two inert landfills (for private use only): City of Kennewick
City of Prosser
Household hazardous waste (HHW) facilities Benton County HHW (Opening Fall 2019)
Franklin County HHW
Organic waste land application sites ChemRad
Columbia Crest Winery
Coventry Vale Winery
Lamb Weston-Connell Plant
Compost facilities (private use only) Horn Rapids Landfill Compost
Lamb Weston-Pasco Plant
 Pile facilities (for private use only): City of Kennewick
City of Pasco
City of Richland
Iron Horse Inc.


Recycling Options

All incorporated cities in Benton and Franklin Counties have recycling programs.  Contact the public works department in the city where you live to find the closest recycling collection site.  You can also take some recyclables for cash back at the following facilities:

Basin Recycling
1721 Dietrich Rd
Pasco 509.547-6666

Clayton-Ward Recycling (Two Locations) 

119 East Alban Ave.
Kennewick 509.582.8277

1936 Saint Ave.
Richland 509.375.4086

Pacific Steel and Recycling
315 GuStreet
Kennewick 509.582.2134

Electronics Recycling

Washington state has a very proactive electronics recycling program called E-Cycle Washington.  These items can be recycled:

  • Televisions
  • Computers
  • Laptops
  • Monitors
  • Tablets
  • E-readers
  • Portable DVD players

Computer peripherals such as keyboards, mice, and printers are not included in the E-Cycle WA program.

Peripherals and the other electronics noted below can be dropped off at these participating retailers and recycled at no charge.

  • Keyboards — Best Buy and Staples stores
  • Printers — Best Buy and Staples stores
  • Toner cartridges — Best Buy and Staples stores
  • Cell phones — Best Buy, Staples, and RadioShack stores

Many local recycling facilities and Goodwill stores can take E-Waste.  For a detailed list go to Recycle Service Search